For the homeless, every aspect of “normal” daily living is a tremendous challenge. Their needs are not just holiday needs. They exist year round. A minimum wage job grosses an average of $1,650 a month. Monthly motel rents of $1,400 or more are common.
If you do the math you can see that there isn’t much left over (if anything at all) for food, hygiene items, clothing, medications, gas, vehicle maintenance or any of a number of items most of us take for granted.
Because of the great needs we encounter, Project Dignity distributes thousands of pounds of much needed items every year. We have been blessed by very generous loyal donors, both from the private and corporate sectors, who keep us well supplied. This is fortunate since every year we see the need for help increasing.
If you’d like to become involved by organizing a drive for us, it would be most appreciated. Below you’ll find our suggested “wish lists” for items we find fill the greatest needs.
We respectfully ask that if you do decide to organize a drive, that you would please call us first at 714-534-4271. Our storage space is limited and there are organizations that routinely collect certain items for us. At this time we do not have a need for adult clothing of any type. We cannot accept medications of any type, either prescription or over the counter.
Non-Perishable Food Items
- Canned items such as soups, chili, vegetables, fruit, corned beef, Spam, Vienna Sausage, spaghetti, ravioli, tuna
- Pudding cups, fruit cups, fruit roll-ups, packaged crackers, cookies, juice boxes
- Peanut Butter, Jelly or Jam
- Cereals, granola bars
- Please no perishable food, cooked food or open boxes.
- Deodorant, shampoo, bar soap, laundry soap, wet wipes.
- Kleenex, paper towels, toilet paper, dishwashing soap, hand soap, disinfectant spray.
- Razors, shaving cream, hand lotion.
- Baby wipes, diaper ointment
- Paper, pencils, crayons, markers, staplers, tape, glue sticks
- Binders, folders, notebooks
Every year we distribute thousands of dollars of gift cards from grocery stores, Target, Wal-Mart, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Gas cards. etc. Because we cannot possibly anticipate every possible need or take every size of clothing needed, nor are we able to carry milk, meat, fresh fruits or vegetables, gift cards help us to meet many needs, right on the spot.
Gift cards also have the added benefit of allowing our clients to get exactly what they need and to shop in stores with the same dignity as anyone else.
Contact us about organizing a drive
Please call us first at 714-534-4271 or send us a message using the following form, to talk to us about doing a drive. You can contact us by email but please include your phone number so we can call you. Donation drives will not be handled by email. It doesn’t work. We must talk about the process to have a full understanding of what you want to do.